Creating Comfort in a Memorable Place

Design Philosophy

Source
In the early 1990s, my dad traveled to Washington, DC to visit his aunt and uncle. During his trip, my dad found his love for architecture. In 2007, I had to create a poster about what I wanted to be when I grew up and share it with my third-grade class. I knew immediately I wanted to do something involving design; however, I didn't know what kind of design. After years of watching and hearing my dad work and seeing how he enjoyed creating breathtaking buildings and homes for other people, I knew I wanted to do something similar. Although instead of designing the buildings, I wanted to do something with the inside of buildings. At the beginning of my junior year of high school, I confidently declared interior design as the career I wanted to pursue.

This picture was taken by me with my 
friend's permission.

When I design, I strive to create a comfortable and memorable place for clients. Besides interior design, I am extremely passionate about giving, and I strive to give clients a comfortable place they will never want to leave, like my friend Cobe. Cobe hardly leaves her bed because it is, and I quote, "The most comfortable thing to exist." I want clients to feel that about the spaces I create for them. Plush seating and a memory foam mattress are great ways to add comfort to a room, but I aim to add comforting colors, textures, shapes, etc. When a client walks into a room I designed, I want the client to feel immediate comfort and solace.

This is a sketch by me of a theoretical
collage.
Something I love to do during my free time is visit my great-aunt at her house. Every time I walk through her front door, I am instantly welcomed with wonderful memories, and it brings a smile to my face; I want to create the same thing for my clients. One of my major focuses when I design is creating a memorable place; I want the space to have a piece of the client in it that will make it feel special and unique, whether it is a large, abstract structure to be used for a kitchen island or a simple, asymmetrical collage of photographs to be used as a conversational piece. To make the space unforgettable, I strive to design around a client's treasured piece or create a signature piece based on the client.

My goal with my designs is to create a special space a client can find solace in. The spaces I design for clients will be memorable and create their own sense of comfort. Every space I design will be different from the next, which makes each space incomparable.

References:
JD Institute
10 Things to Consider When Designing a Room

*names have been changed for the sake of privacy

Comments

  1. I think that your design philosophy really says a lot about you as a person. Instead of just wanting to design a space that looks cool, you want that space to be your client's favorite place and to make them feel comfortable and welcomed. I think that finding the perfect balance between style and comfort is what we all strive to do as designers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your layout and design of this post are done very well in my opinion. It's very clean and the pictures fit. I like how, in your conclusion, you tied in the title of your blog.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment